August First Friday is tonight in downtown Mount Vernon. For our Morning Thing Fave 5, we decided to share our favorite things about this fun event for families.
This week is actually a Fave 4 (we are missing Eddie Dilts and James Hubbard). 🙂
Join WNZR in downtown Mount Vernon Tonight for August First Friday!
Look for Big Blue near the public square.
Stop by and register to win a special “Clean Up, Dress Up and Checkup” prize basket for the family featuring:
- An entire house cleaning from Carefree Cleaning Company. Amy Kessler gives you 4 hours of house cleaning! (Valued at $100)
- A certificate for 1 individual comprehensive eye exam with Amazing Eyes Family Vision! (Valued at $135)
- Two $15 gift certificates for Premier Designs Jewelry with Amberly Frye (one for you and one for a friend)
- Plus WNZR goodies including chip clips, hand fans, cups, Frisbees, guitar flyswatters and more! The prize package is valued at over $265!
First Friday events are from 6 to 9 p.m. in downtown Mount Vernon. The family-friendly activities include magician Jimmy Burcham, corn hole, a classic car cruise-in and music from Project Round Table on the public square stage.
Other activities include:
- TaVaci Select Performers followed by the Uncorrections will provide music at the South Stage – MVNU’s Buchwald Plaza Gazebo.
- A presentation for the winner of the local Guns vs. Hoses Blood Drive for the American Red Cross. This competition is between our local police and fire departments.
- The American Red Cross will host a bloodmobile at City Hall.
- A Hidden in Plain Sight event with KSAAT (Knox Substance Abuse Action Team) will take place at the Elks Lodge.
- “Outside” – an exhibition by the Creative Art of Women (CAW) will be at MVNU’s Schnormeier Gallery. In this exhibition, CAW explores the external forces and exterior surfaces that make up the world- whether structural, anatomical, or metaphysical. Each artist wrestled with the theme of “OUTSIDE” through her own lens resulting in a diverse view of what makes up the world outside ourselves.
- Show dates continue through 8/16.
- Food vendors on the square
It is family fun at Mount Vernon’s First Friday presented by Main Street Mount Vernon – an Ohio Main Street program.
Traffic will be closed one block north of the Public Square, around the Square and on South Main Street down to Ohio Avenue starting at 4:30 p.m. (on Friday 8/4). (Gambier Street will remain open). Rain location for the band is the CA & C Depot at 501 South Main Street. If you have questions, please contact Becky Glass, Executive Director, at 740-393-1481. More details about First Friday can be found at www.mainstreetmountvernon.com.
The mission of Main Street Mount Vernon is to create and enhance the economic, historic and social development of the central business district and downtown Mount Vernon. First Fridays are held the first Friday of each month May through October.