Today on the Morning Thing, we focused on taking a look back at this year.
We shared some interesting events that happened throughout the year, including:
- Jan 6 “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” breaks North American box office record, passing the $760.5m taken by “Avatar”
- An unprecedented $1.6 billion Powerball jackpot that became a national fascination was split three ways, by mystery winners in Florida, Tennessee and California on January 13th
- Jan 16 First ever flower grown in space – a zinnia aboard the International Space Station using NASA Veggie system
- Feb 28 Actor Leonardo DiCaprio (finally!) won the Oscar for Best Actor
- Mar 20 Barak Obama becomes the first US President to visit Cuba since 1928, arriving for a 2 day tour
- On April 20 Harriet Tubman, an African-American abolitionist born into slavery, will be the new face on the $20 bill.
- On April 21st Queen Elizabeth II — Britain’s oldest and longest-serving monarch — celebrated her 90th birthday
- In May, NASA announced the Kepler mission has verified 1,284 new planets — the single largest finding of planets to date
- On May 28 – A special Cincinnati Zoo response team shot and killed Harambe, a beloved 17-year-old western lowland gorilla, that grabbed and dragged a 4-year-old boy who had fallen into the gorilla exhibit moat.
- The Rio Games, the first in South America, were a 16-day spectacle that combined numerous highlight reel moments with ugly and even bizarre episodes. American gymnast Simone Biles asserted her dominance with four golds, swimmer Michael Phelps added five more to up his staggering total to 23 and the world’s fastest man, Usain Bolt, put on his usual show with three golds just days before turning 30 years old.
We also honored some of those who passed away this year, including David Bowie, Prince, John Glenn, and Carrie Fisher. For a complete list of those we lost this year, click here.
Have an awesome Wednesday!