The Morning Thing Fave 5 for the week of 11/14/16
For our Fave 5 this week, Marcy shares 5 of her favorite memories from her time at MVNU.
I came to MVNC in September of 1987. (It was a college at the time). I was a Communication Major studying broadcasting. Who knew that 25 years later, I would be sitting in the same studio using my training to minister to families every day. Who knew that I would be helping train future broadcasters at this special place called WNZR. It is very difficult to narrow down my “favorite” memories of those 4 years in school. I will try to pull out some fun moments to share with you.
1. Opening Weekend for Freshman Year. I will never forget how nervous I was to be a new freshman at MVNC. For opening weekend, they had the annual Luau in the grove on campus. We all dressed in Hawaiian shirts with our “big hair” and pegged jeans. 🙂 I remember this event because several upper classmen came up and said hello to my group of friends. We had a blast and met SO many new friends. It was exciting to see that our 2016 Student Government Association brought this event back to Welcome Week.
2. My first trip to the Gospel Music Association Convention happened my Sophomore year. I was able to travel with other WNZR DJs to Nashville, TN to attend the Christian Music Broadcaster’s Convention. This experience was INCREDIBLE! I met numerous artists and radio professionals from all over the world. I can look back on that trip as a definite turning point in my life. God was leading me to see the path He had for my future in radio. It is also exciting that now as WNZR’s Station Manager, I have the opportunity to take students to this same conference to find God’s leading upon their lives.
3. DC Talk concert my Junior year. I will never forget seeing this groundbreaking new style of Christian music. Toby, Kevin and Michael performed on stage in the MVNC gym – now called the “old/Intramural” gym. I can still sing every word of Heavenbound, their first big radio hit.
4. One of the greatest memories happened my Senior year. I served as Concert Chairperson for the Student Government Association. It was my job to coordinate the concerts for the campus. We worked for months to bring Mylon and Brokenheart to campus. This was HUGE for our students and the community. I remember getting the rider (the requests and requirements to host the band) and feeling completely overwhelmed. It was over 30 pages!!! The workload was incredible, but the concert was amazing. The greatest memory though was when one of my best friends came up to me after the show and told me that she had recommitted her life to Christ that night. This show definitely changed a lot of lives.
5. Graduation has to be one of my favorite memories. The feeling of accomplishment of finishing your degree is incredible, but experiencing this moment with your best friends is even better. I remember the laughter and the tears as we said goodbye to our beloved Mount Vernon Nazarene College. I also remember that exhilarating feeling of hearing my name being called to the stage to receive my diploma – Marcella Elaine Street!
I am proud to be a member of the MVNU Class of 1991! 25 years! Wow! God has been faithful to the calling on my life including sustaining me over the past 20 years that I have worked at MVNU as WNZR’s Station Manager. I now look forward to see what God has in store for the future. I am also thrilled that my daughter Rachel is now a student here at MVNU, finding God’s path to her future.