We LOVE Fridays!
We had fun talking about donuts, dryer sheets and what is happening at MVNU.
6/5/15 is National Donut or “Doughnut” Day.
We shared our favorite donuts for The Morning Thing Fave 5.
1. The Long John/Creme Stick – Miriam, Wesley and Annabelle (and many other people) love this classic donut topped with icing and filled with whipped cream.
2. Marcy loves the seasonal “chocolate candy cane” donut from Tim Hortons. It is only available at Christmas. It is a chocolate cake donut with chocolate icing sprinkled with crushed candy canes.
3. Our MT listener, Donna, loves the vanilla-custard filled donut. She says that it is SO much better than cream.
4. Another MT listener, Dave, loves any donut with red raspberry filling.
5. Karen and her husband have different “faves”. Karen likes chocolate long johns. Her husband Dave likes the plain cake donut dipped in his coffee.
Do you know the history of this day?
National Doughnut Day
Date When Celebrated : Always the first Friday in June
National Doughnut Day honors the Salvation Army “Lassies” of WWI. It is also used as a fund raiser for needy causes of the Salvation Army.
The original Salvation Army Doughnut was first served by Salvation Army in 1917. During WWI, Salvation Army “lassies” were sent to the front lines of Europe. These brave volunteers made home cooked foods, and provided a morale boost to the troops. Often, the doughnuts were cooked in oil inside the of the metal helmet of an American soldier. The American infantrymen were commonly called doughboys. Salvation Army lassies were the only women outside of military personnel allowed to visit the front lines. Lt. Colonel Helen Purviance is considered the Salvation Army’s “first doughnut girl”.
On National Doughnut Day, look to see if your local doughnut shop, or other organizations, are offering free donuts to solicit donations for the Salvation Army or for another needy cause. If you find them, please be generous.
Note: The word “Doughnut” is often shortened to “Donut. So, if you see the term National Donut Day, its the same day.
The origin of the term “Doughboy”:
The Origin of National Doughnut Day:
We also celebrated our birthday and anniversary winners on The Morning Thing!
Congratulations to Deanna and Dallas Tackett – our winning anniversary couple this week. The Tacketts win an 8 X 10 color portrait from Seavolt’s Studios.
Click here to get your special day on our list.
We also celebrated all the ways that you can use the dryer sheet!
We also shared our June MVNU Presidential Update with Dr. Henry Spaulding.
Have a great weekend!